What you can do to help your Michigan Teen with Auto Safety
Michigan teen auto safety is essential, especially for new drivers, who are required to undergo a course before applying for a learner’s permit or license.
This requirement starts with a driver education course which consists of:
- Segment 1, which includes a minimum of 24 hours of classroom instruction. A minimum of six hours of behind-the-wheel instruction and a minimum of four hours of observation time as a passenger.
- Segment 2, which consists of a minimum of six hours of classroom instruction designed to provide teens with defensive driving skills. For a list of Certified Driver Ed instructors.
Teen auto-driving statistics
It is essential to talk to your son or daughter about teen auto safety and the importance of wearing their seatbelts. Teens have the lowest seat belt use rates of any age group.
- Only 65% of the teens consistently wear their seat belts as both a driver and passenger.
- Six out of 10 drivers ages 16 to 20 that died did not wear a seatbelt.
- 2 out of 3 teens killed as occupants of motor vehicles did not use their seatbelt.
More disturbing facts, according to the National Traffic Safety Administration:
- Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for American teenagers.
- Young people age 15-20 makeup 6.7 % of the total driving population in this country, but are they are involved in 14% of all fatal crashes.
- 41% of fatal crashes involving teenagers occur at night time (between 9:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.).
- Two out of three teenagers killed in motor vehicles are males.
These are the essential reasons why you should sit down with your son or daughter an explain to them the importance of being responsible when they start driving.
Teen auto discounts
Insurance rates for teen drivers will cost more than parent policies; that is another reason why teen safety is essential. Many auto insurance companies give discounts for good grades, usually a 3.0 or better. Some companies also offer discounts for taking a driver training or driver education program. Before buying a car, check with your insurance agent to see what your rate will be. Sports cars and expensive vehicles will have higher insurance rates for teens.
Michigan teen auto insurance:
Finally, State Farm, the biggest insurer of young adults, has a safe driving program called Steer Clear® Safe Driver Discount Program. They also have a strong good student program for teen drivers, if you would like more information on available Michigan teen discounts to click to get a Michigan Insurance Quote or call 248-277-4505. Also, for more information on teen driver’s license requirements, click the link to see the steps for Michigan teen driver’s license requirements.