Michigan Chauffeur License

When is a Michigan Chauffeur License Required

You will need a Michigan Chauffeur License if any conditions apply. 

  • Are employed to operate a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,000 pounds or more. (See note below.)
  • Operate a motor vehicle as a carrier of passengers or as a common or contract carrier of property.
  • Operate a bus or a school bus.

More detailed information is available at the Michigan Secretary of State.

Michigan law state that:

Michigan law considers someone to be employed for the principal purpose of operating a motor vehicle “when the person’s employment customarily involves the necessary use of a motor vehicle for hire or for transporting passengers for hire, or for transporting for gain or hire any merchandise for display, sale, or delivery.” (MCL 257.6(2))

How do you apply for a Michigan Chauffeur License?

To obtain a Michigan chauffeur license:

  • You need to be at least 16 years of age, have completed segments 1 and 2 of driver education, and hold a Graduated Driver’s License Level 2 or 3. 
  • You must pass the written chauffeur license knowledge test. (They will require a skills test if this is your first time with a license).
  • Pay the $35 license fee.

 To operate certain commercial vehicles, you may need a commercial driver’s license and a chauffeur license.  Becoming a Transportation Network driver does not require a chauffeur’s license in Michigan.  Michigan requirements for  Uber and Lyft drivers.

Who is exempt from needing a Chauffeur License?

You will not need a Michigan Chauffeur license in the following instances.

  • A farmer or farmer’s employee operates a vehicle exclusively connected to the farming operation.
  • All firefighter or members of fire departments that drives an ambulance.
  • A firefighter or police officer operating equipment used exclusively in their employment.
  • Utility companies hire employees to drive trucks transporting employees, materials, and tools.
  • Service or repair personnel who operate vehicles carry their tools and transport parts or appliances only incidentally to their employment.
  • Any Emergency medical services personnel is operating an ambulance.
  • County road commission employees and other employees of local units of government who do not drive their vehicles and whose work consists of hauling road-building materials and supplies for the road commission or other municipal purposes.
  • Michigan DOT employee’s work consists of operating vehicles with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or more to transport highway and bridge maintenance materials and supplies for state trunkline maintenance.
  • Anyone operating a motor vehicle for a volunteer program only receives reimbursement for vehicle operating costs.
  • Anyone who operates a motor home for personal use.
  • Parent or parent’s representative transport students to or from school-related events.
  • Taxicab drivers, limousine drivers, or transport drivers such as (Uber or Lyft drivers).

A Commercial Drivers license may also be required if one of the  following conditions applies:

  • A vehicle towing a trailer or other vehicle with a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more when the GCWR is 26,001 pounds.
  • Vehicles (including buses) have 26,001 pounds or more GVWR.
  • A vehicle under 26,001 pounds GVWR that:
    1. Vehicles that carry 16 or more persons (including the driver)
    2. Takes hazardous materials in amounts requiring unique warning labels.

Finally, click on the highlighted link on How to obtain a Michigan Commercial Drivers License.