Need a Michigan Enhanced Drivers License
Michigan Enhanced Drivers License is a legal document that serves as an identification and helps meet your border-crossing needs. It is a federally approved document that allows you to re-enter the U.S. when traveling by land or sea from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean.
Michigan Enhanced Drivers License Eligibility
- You must be a U.S. citizen and a Michigan resident
- You must have no violations, suspensions, revocations, or denials on your driving record to prevent you from operating a motor vehicle legally.
How long does it take to get a Michigan Enhanced Drivers License
Your Enhanced license or enhanced state ID card should arrive two to three weeks after submitting your application but allow 30 days. If more than 30 days go by without receiving your Id. Contact the Department of State Information Center at [email protected] or call 888-SOS-MICH (767-6424).
After completing the enhanced license application process, you will be issued a Temporary Operator’s Permit to drive. The operator’s permit is not a secure document for border-crossing purposes. Your enhanced license is valid for up to four years and should arrive in the mail within two to three weeks.
Requirements to apply for a Michigan Enhanced Drivers License
Make sure you bring documentation of:
- A valid Social Security number (for example, a Social Security card)
- Proof of U.S. citizenship (a certified copy of your birth certificate with a raised seal must be issued by a governmental unit in the U.S. or U.S. territory or Passport)
- Identity (a current Michigan photo license or ID card)
- Residency (a current Michigan photo license or ID card)
Click the link for a complete list of the Documents Required for the license.
Documentation is subject to the Department of State’s approval. Document approval may occur on the same day. Otherwise, you will need to come back. When applying for a new driver’s license, your first and last name and date of birth on your identity and proof of citizenship documents should match. If they are different, you must submit legal documents showing evidence of a legal name change.
Cost to get Michigan enhance license.
Pay $45 for the standard, enhanced license. (There are additional charges and requirements for an enhanced chauffeur and Commercial License endorsements.) All SOS offices offer enhanced driver’s licenses and state id cards. Appointments can be made at www.michigan.gov/sosappointments.
Other types of Michigan Enhanced licenses are available
- Graduated enhanced driver’s license (for teens under 18),
- chauffeur enhanced driver’s license.
- Commercial enhanced driver’s license.
Finally, all Michigan driver’s licenses must be Real Id compliant by May 3, 2023. Click the link to view the updated Michigan Real ID driver’s license.