Michigan Enhanced Drivers License is a legal document that serves as an identification and helps meet your border-crossing needs. It is a federally approved document that allows you to re-enter the U.S. when traveling by land or sea from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean.
Michigan Enhanced Drivers License Eligibility:
- You must be a U.S. citizen and a Michigan resident
- You must have no violations, suspensions, revocations or denials on your driving record that would prevent you from legally operating a motor vehicle.
What you need to apply for a Michigan Enhanced Drivers License:
Make sure you bring documentation of:
- A valid Social Security number (for example, a Social Security card)
- Proof of U.S. citizenship (a certified copy of your birth certificate with a raised seal, must be issued by a governmental unit in the U.S. or U.S. territory or Passport)
- Identity (a current Michigan photo license or ID card)
- Residency (a current Michigan photo license or ID card)
Click the link for a complete list of the Documents Required for an Enhanced License.
Documentation is subject to Department of State approval. Document approval may occur on the same day otherwise, a second visit will be required. When applying for an enhanced Michigan drivers license, your first and last name and date of birth on your identity and proof of citizenship documents should match. If they are different, you must submit legal documents showing proof of a legal name change.
Other requirements for Michigan Enhanced drivers license
- Have a new photograph taken
- Pay $45 for the standard enhanced license. (There are additional charges for an enhanced chauffeur license and Commercial Driver License endorsements.)
After you complete the enhanced license application process, you will be issued a Temporary Operator’s Permit to drive. The operator’s permit does not qualify as a secure document for border-crossing purposes. Your enhanced license is valid for up to four years and should arrive in the mail within two to three weeks.
Other types of Michigan Enhance license:
- Graduated enhanced drivers License (for teens under 18),
- chauffeur enhanced drivers license.
- Commercial enhanced drivers License.
Finally, all Michigan drivers license has to be Real Id compliant by October 2020. Click the link to view more information on the updated Michigan Real ID drivers license.