Why you need a Michigan Home Inventory
Everyone knows we need one, but we do not take the time to create or update a home inventory of our personal property. It may not sound like an exciting activity, but in the event of a total loss such as a fire, theft, or flood, a home inventory can help with the claim process.
Sit down and try to make a detailed list of what’s in each room of your dwelling. It’s amazingly hard to remember all the “stuff” that accumulates – wall hangings, curtains, cookware, clothing, sports gear, jewelry, knick-knacks, rugs, clocks, etc.
- This weekend you can start by taking a video or photo each room and list major items on paper.
- Record brand, model, date, and amount of purchase, if possible (serial numbers are necessary on some items).
- Save receipts or scan into an app all major purchases or electronics.
- Antiques and jewelry may require written descriptions or appraisals. These items may need individual coverage on your homeowner’s policy. Call your agent to make sure that these items are covered.
Make a Video home inventory record
Having a home inventory can help you if you were to have a homeowner’s insurance claim. An easy and cost-effective way to inventory your home is to take a Video Camera and go through your house, videotaping everything inside. Keep a copy at a separate location, so it is not damaged if something happens to your home.
These lists are great tools to help organize your records. Finally, remember the most important rule is to update your inventory every year. You do not want to leave the only record in your home. Taking the time to make and update your inventory now, can help you in working with your insurer later and maximizing your recovery should you have the need.
An inventory is worthless if you don’t have access to it. If you save your home inventory list on your computer, create a back up in a different location.
- Save your home inventory to the cloud or an internet storage app such as Dropbox.
- Print your inventory and save it somewhere safe outside of your house.
- E-mail your inventory to yourself or a family member and save it electronically.
Home inventory software:
Microsoft offers free home inventory templates. Or you can download an inventory app on your phone.
If your agent has not provided this service, contact a local Michigan homeowner’s insurance agent to see how having a home inventory helps your homeowner’s insurance. Finally, read about how to make sure all your relevant documents are protected and organized for a Michigan emergency.