Who can operate a Michigan Personal Watercraft (PWC)
Michigan Personal Watercraft, teens, can operate them, but they may be required to get a boater safety course certificate.
Children under 12 years of age may not legally operate a Personal Watercraft.
Children between the ages of 12 and 13 years may operate a Personal watercraft legally only if:
- They obtained a boating safety certificate before January 1, 1999, or
- If they satisfy the following conditions:
- The operator is accompanied solely by his or her parent or legal guardian and
- Both the operator and the parent or legal guardian have obtained a boating safety certificate and
- The Personal watercraft is equipped with a lanyard-type ignition safety switch, and the parent or legal guardian has the lanyard attached to his or her person, clothing, or PFD and …
- Personal watercraft is can only carry at least two people.
Children 14 years of age or older:
- And born after December 31, 1978, may operate a personal watercraft legally only if they have obtained a boating safety certificate.
- And born on or before December 31, 1978, may operate a personal watercraft legally without restrictions.
Michigan personal watercraft rules changed on October 1, 2011
Children, less than 14 years of age, may not legally operate a watercraft (PWC).
Children 14 and 15 years of age may operate a watercraft (PWC) legally only if:
- He or she is accompanied on board by his or her parent or legal guardian or by a person at least 21 years of age who has been designated by the parent or legal guardian or
- He or she is operating or riding the watercraft (PWC) at a distance of not more than 100 feet from his or her parent or legal guardian or from a person at least 21 years of age who has been designated by the parent or legal guardian.
Michigan boat required safety course:
If you want to certify your son or daughter for their watercraft, you can visit the state of Michigan website to register for the online boater safety course at Michigan safe boating course.
Visit our site for more information about watercraft or what’s covered on Michigan boat insurance policy.