Michigan accident

What to do if you have a Michigan Accident

Michigan accident can already be stressful, but this situation can worsen when you find out the other driver does not have insurance. We will provide you with steps on what to do when you have a Michigan accident and auto damage with an uninsured driver.

Steps to take when the Michigan accident occurs

  • First, check to ensure that you are not injured if you call 911 to request an ambulance.
  • Next, turn on your hazard lights, or if it is safe to do so and have them, you can put out warning triangles or safety flares.
  • Move out of traffic if the accident is minor, and there aren’t any injuries. It would be best to move your auto to an area that is safe, but close to the scene.
  • Call the police if they do not show up and exchange information with the other party. If the other person does not have insurance, make sure you get their pertinent information—photocopy of a license, contact information, and license plate number.  Using a smartphone, you can take pictures of these items and also damage to the car.  If the police show up, they will get the needed information to get a copy of the police report.  If the police do not show up, get as much information as possible to report the info to the police later.
  • Finally, notify your insurance agent and report the information from the accident.

Where to Make a Claim in Michigan with uninsured drivers

  • File a claim with Michigan Small Claims Courts.  The maximum amount you can sue for in small claims court is $5000.  You will need to file the fees and initiate this process with the court.  That is why it is essential to have the contact information of the other person.  You do not need an attorney to file this type of claim.
  • If damages exceed $5000, then you will need an attorney to start a claim in the Civil court to recover your losses.
  • Call your agent and process the claim through your own company.  There should not be a penalty if you were not at fault in the accident.  Filing a claim with your own company will be the quickest option because it may take longer to get paid from the other party when you go to court.  Usually, the person who is driving without insurance will not have the money to pay if sued.  The downside to this option is that you will have to pay your deductible if you have a standard or limited collision on your policy.

Michigan accident with Hit & Run driver

If the other party leaves the scene, you will have to call your agent and submit a claim through your own company.

If you are involved in a Michigan accident and the other person has insurance, you will need to get their information to file a Michigan mini-tort claim to get your deductible reimbursed. The highlighted link explains the mini-tort claim process to recover your deductible.