Michigan mini-tort

What is Michigan Mini-tort

Michigan Mini-tort also called  (limited property damage liability) is a provision under Michigan’s no-fault law.

Under this provision, if you are 50% or more at fault in a Michigan insurance accident, and insurance does not cover the damages to the other driver’s car,  the other driver may sue you and you would have to pay up to $1000 in damages. This limit increases to $3000 on July 1, 2020.  You can sue the other driver for damages to your car which your insurance company does not cover or if the other driver is 50% or more at fault. Click this link to see what you should do if you are involved in a Michigan auto accident.

How to recover Mini-tort

A lawsuit made under the mini-tort provision will usually be in small claims or municipal court.  Either party can ask the higher court to move the case, but the person who asks to move the case will be responsible for the additional court costs and the judgment will not be higher than what they would get in the lower court.

A new change to the mini-tort law makes it that owners of vehicles that don’t have insurance can’t make a claim for vehicle damage by an “at fault” driver.

The court will pay Damages according to the amount or percentage at fault.  For example, if the damage is $1000 and the other party is 60% at fault, they will have to pay $600 to the other driver.  Insurance companies provide coverage for “mini-tort” as an optional coverage called limited property damage liability. The other party can also elect to pay the damages out of pocket.  Click on the highlighted link for a step by step guide on how to file a Michigan Mini-tort Claim.

Effective July 1, 2020, the limits for mini-tort will increase from $1000-$3000. Still unchanged in the new law, uninsured drivers cannot collect any money under Michigan’s mini tort law.

Make sure you have protection against Mini-tort claims.

Finally, to make sure you are protected and don’t have to pay a mini-tort claim on your auto insurance click Michigan No-fault auto insurance to get more information and make sure that have adequate protection for mini-tort claims.